Simple instructions for making a creative and decorative star-shaped clock.
Creating a star clock for a child can be a fun and creative DIY project. A DIY star clock is not only a creative and fun activity that a child can take part in creating, but on completion, it can be an appealing decoration. Conveniently, your star clock can also be a great learning tool, perfect for kids who are learning how to tell time. With the proper, easy-to-find supplies and a little creativity, you can easily and successfully create a kids’ custom star clock.
- Large paper mache star shaped box, box top included
- Insertable clock hands
- Paint brush
- White gloss base paint
- Assortment of acrylic paints
- Hot glue gun and sticks
- Number stickers
Remove box top. Position clock hands inside the star-shaped box top, as close to the middle of the star as possible. With a pencil, mark the spot where you want the clock hands to be inserted.
Use scissors to punch a hole through the pencil marking that you previously made.
Paint the entire outside of the box and box top with one coat of a white or light-colored gloss base paint. This will create an even base color that will allow acrylic paints to be applied smoothly and show up easily. Let the paint dry overnight.
Paint your star clock, apply designs and patterns with acrylic paints. You can use any color combinations and any patterns you choose. Allow paint to dry completely.
Stick on number stickers on the front of the star box. For proper and accurate placement of numbers, use a clock as a guide.
Glue on embellishments of your choice to the front of the clock with hot glue. Embellishments can include big rhinestones, felt craft cut outs or wooden craft shapes.
Insert the clock hands in designated hole made during step one.
- In this activity, the box top will be the front of the clock, and the bottom portion of the box will be the back of the star clock.
- All supplies can be found in craft stores.
- During step two, when punching the hole through the star box, use the scissors carefully.
- If you’re not confident with your freehand painting skills, feel free to use stencils to assist with painting your star clock.
- Words, brief phrases, geometrical designs, and whimsical designs can all be painted onto your clock.
- During step six, refrain from gluing small embellishments onto your star clock, they can be hazardous to young children.